Monday, July 21, 2008

how far should we bend?

so i went to the client's office. and was shown into the MD's office. now she is the boss, or pretends to be. i had to write 4 invites because all of a sudden one saturday the head boss decides that they'll launch their product on coming thursday. so i had to write invites for press, senior management, vijay team and all employees. they brief me on 3 invites. i ask her to brief me on the fourth one too so that i can go to office. but she insists that i do all the writing in her office.
so i write the first invite and she's ok with it. then she goes in a meeting and comes back brainwashed. she looks at the first invite and yelps, revolution is too strong a word.
by now 4-5 of her pappus have also flooded the room.
me: but i thought you were ok with it.
MD: no-no. tch
pappu 1: how about endeavour?
MD: hmm
pappu 2: initiative sounds good?
MD: initiative doesn't gel well with the internal sensitivities
me: urgh
pappu 3: jouney is a nice word
MD seems to like the suggestion.
pappu 2 realises he is losing ground, so he juts in
pappu 2: waise we can make the invite flow in a different manner. you know, it could start with 'Mr. analjit singh invites you..'
pappu 3 gets back: you never address anyone with a 'mr' or 'ms' in an invite
MD: drop 'mr'
pappu 2: but i have seen it frequently in invites
MD: add 'mr'
by now my brain has gone into the power saving mode and has switched off. i look at the laptop screen. and it looks back. blankly. gingerly i slide it to Asif. let him make the changes in the copy, that is, if he can grasp the proceedings.
suddenly they all are looking at me. my brain switches on. ok, they are ready to brief me on the 4th invite. i understand the brief, and pull back the laptop. anisha and pappu 3 are peeping in the screen. they are judging me by each word that i am typing. i delelte what i just wrote. write again. delete it again.
MD: is it uncomfortable for you to work in this room?
i grab the opportunity and blurt.
me: i would rather go to office and work.
MD: ok
and yes, in-between she also argued with me on a preposition.

3 comments:

Musings said...

How cool...The client can actually get the COPY guy to come to office & get them to work right in front of them...I wish our Account exec allowed that..atleast we'ld have been saved from writing the copy ourselves!!!!

starrynight said...

to musings: well, that only happnd bcoz someone in top hierarchy promised without thinking. and this was teh first time i had to do this, in my 4 year copywriting career.

M said...

Hmmm...well. i guess you aren't as obnoxious as me. The last time i was writing copy at a clients office (Freelance main karna padhta hain) he tried peeping but i turned the screen down.

I cannot work with someone peeping over my shoulder. Hate it, hate it, absolutely hate it